Tuesday, June 1, 2010

VISIT WITH GRANDPA

Mom giving Grandpa a look at the family blog and at his Great, great granddaughter Allison.
Last week about Wed. Mom was talking to Maryanne and the concern regarding the health of moms Dad. He has gained like 45 lbs of fluid in his body and was on a strong diruric (sp) that was working some but he could only take it for about 10 days because it was so toxic to his kidneys and the dosage was to run out about May 31. Mom said to me that she felt she needed to go visit him and Maryanne. The Spirit must have touched me also, because I wasn't my usual jerk self saying things like "no way!" Too Far, cost too much" etc. We both thought that this past weekend would be a good time because of the holiday and her store would be closed and I could get off and all that. I looked into flying on the internet and it was really expensive. 7 to 8 hundred each ticket and that was flying to Eugene or Portland and driving down to Medford. Any way, we decided to drive and save about $1,700.00. So we did. Took off From Riverton on Friday afternoon about 2 Pm and drove to Elko, NV. Spent the night and got to Medford about 5 in the afternoon. They were so excited and pleased to see us. We all went out to dinner at McGraffs. Don is so frail and his legs are full of fluid and swollen, but he carefully walks with a walker and they have the routine down getting into and out of the car and it went really well. We stayed up till 11 pm talking and laughing and went to bed. The next day, Sunday, we stayed in the house talking and eating and just having some fun. It was very good for Maryanne to have us there. It really lifted their spirits to have some company and talk about life, death and spiritual things. We watched some BYU channel TV (They watch it a lot now days after they got in on their new TV cable. Monday mom and Maryanne went to do some shopping and Don and I stayed and talked about work, golf, church and guy stuff and then took a nap. When they got back we out to the Olive Garden for a late lunch and then we took off for home. We drove to Winnamuca. Got there about 11:00 pm and then today drove home. We put 2165 miles on the car. Riverton to Medford and back. We were blessed that everything went well with the car and driving and we are glad we made the trip. Mom was sad when she said good by to her dad, as that would be probabally be the last time she will see him in this life. I know it was the wright thing to do and we raised their spirits a great deal and it gave Maryanne the lift she needs to deal with the coming weeks. She said she is thinking and planning to bury him at a military cemetary just a few miles (8 or 9) from Medford.

Well, that is enough for you to know now. Love, Dad

5 comments:

Haley said...

Thanks for the update, poor Grandpa Chatterton. I'm glad you guys were able to go visit him. I'm really glad I got to see him last year. Yes, the drive to Oregon is brutal, try doing it pregnant! I am blessed to have my in-laws there. Haha.

Emily said...

Poor grandpa. I was glad I got to see him a few years ago at Haley's wedding in Oregon. What an interesting man! I will be sad to hear of his passing.

Matt Wright said...

Nice post Dad. Glad you made the trip. I'm sure that meant the world to Mom. I hope I am half as cute of an old man as Grampa Chatterton. What a great person! I've always felt close to him in a way. Maybe it's just the kind of guy he is.

Amy said...

Thanks for the update. I'm really glad you guys made the trip. It sounds like it was what they needed and I'm sure it meant a lot to Mom, too. You're a good guy, Dad, to do that for her. I love Grandpa and it will be really sad for me when he goes. I'll be sad for Mary Anne, too.

Neaners said...

What a wonderful experience for Aunt Janie to have closure with her father. It is so important to listen to the spirit and follow it. I wish your whole family comfort and peace when he does pass. So glad you made it home safely.