Saturday, January 3, 2009

3 stars - worth seeing



So when Hancock first came out, Travis and I thought it looked pretty good. Neither of us are the rush to movie theatre for anything type at all. So when it came out on dvd, he picked it up and it's really pretty good. I'm a big Will Smith fan, and he was just cracking me up the entire time. I think Travis has watched it 4 times since we got it, but I just got around to it on New Years Eve. I had kind of an agoraphobe's night that night and just didn't want to go anywhere like we had planned. So watching movies was just perfect. Hancock is a really funny movie with some really great surprises in it. Jason Bateman!! I would rank it as highly recommended. Oh, yeah, and I just realized that I never do review type reviews on here. All I ever do is tell you guys how much I liked/hated it. So I'm going to attempt to do a bit of a plot analysis. Hancock is an almost homeless and definite substance --abuser super hero. He has super powers like flying and super strength and the like, but for some reason, everytime he does something good for the world, something else is sacrificed. Confusing, I know. Here's an example: He saves a beached whale by throwing him into the ocean by the tail, but the whale ends up landing on a sailboat and probably kills all on board. That type of thing. But then here comes Jason Bateman who is a PR guy and wants to help Hancock improve his image because he does enough good in the world that people should love him. But I think we've all seen enough super-hero movies to know that no matter what they do, someone will always hate Spiderman. Someone will always hate Batman. So they strike up this relationship. Then the rest, I can't tell. It's a secret. But it is good. And if this is a movie you've been humming and hawing about whether to see or not, I think you should see it. It was surprisingly good and entertaining.

5 comments:

Cat said...

Ha Ha! I just noticed my post's title. Worth Stars! Holy crap, I can't talk to Em on the phone and bog at the same time, apparently.

Cat said...

Fixed my funny mistake. It should now read as 3 stars - worth seeing instead of 3 stars - worth stars!

Cat said...

And um, bog instead of blog. Again, sometimes I'm the master of multi-tasking, but, evidently not true in the blogosphere.

Sue said...

Sorry Cat, but we rented this a few weeks ago and we didn't like it very much. I liked Will Smith and Jason Bateman of course. We really liked the first 45 minutes or so, then when the twist happened, it went downhill for us. This was a movie I really wanted to like and I thought the idea of the reluctant, alcoholic super hero was a great idea. But I didn't like the turn the story took.

Emily said...

I am not a huge Will Smith fan, but always give him a chance. I don't dislike him. I recognize the title somewhat, but knew nothing of this movie till I read the review.

I like how the first 3 comments are Cath correcting mistakes. I realize the nature of my call was somewhat distracting, but that was entertaining to read.