After gushing about Toby Stephens in Jane Eyre on my personal blog yesterday, I was lying in bed in the wee hours of the morning with a unsleepy Elinore beside me thinking about other possibly awesome performances. So I thought it was due time to bring back the KWAW top 5s.
So this is a top 5 list of the actors you think really brought a book character to life, better then you even imagined they were on page. Actors that not only embodied, but enriched the character in your head, totally making it their own.
So here is mine:
1. Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs.
2. Vivian Leigh as Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With the Wind.
3. Toby Stephens as Edward Rochester in Jane Eyre.
4. Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch in To Kill A Mockingbird.
5. Hugh Grant as Will in About A Boy.
I struggled putting Hugh Grant up there, but in the end I just had to. His portrayal of Will in that movie was SO entertaining. I really enjoyed his performance and this movie made me like the book a whole lot more then I had before, so I am putting him up there. I don't think I need to explain any of the others.