Saturday, November 6, 2010

"Oh, God!"



I'm not cussing in the post's title above but giving the name of this week's WTB movie, the fun and endearing movie "Oh, God!" starring George Burns as the Almighty and John Denver as the average Joe (named Jerry) that God chooses to be his spokesperson. It's a film that is certainly reminiscent of Bruce Almighty, which some of you guessed during the week, but also very different in that God never gives his powers to Jerry, and Jerry has to wrestle with the ridicule of his public claims about God speaking to him rather than Bruce learning lessons for himself. Really lots of fun and some good, thoughtful ideas about God, society, how we treat each other, etc.

I am glad so many of you got it wright, meaning you were aware of and had affection for the film (at least several of you told me that you like this film when you guessed it). In picking it, I admit to pulling a few shenanigans on you again as this is the third film in a row (Tootsie, Close Encounters, and now this) with Teri Garr in a leading role. Hee hee. I also threw some clues into the playlist again by including several religion-themed songs. Almost put a John Denver song in there but figured it might be too obvious as I don't really ever play his music other than a few spiritual ones (and they aren't too well known, so I thought one of them would cause a bunch of attention to it). Speaking of John Denver: isn't he sort of a Wright classic? Somewhere in my brain is the idea that several/many of you were decently passionate fans of his before he died. Am I amiss thinking this?

Congratulations, Sue! Sue was the only one to get it before the Friday clues. Em said she thought of it Wed but didn't write in. Bummer! Following Sue's getting it Thursday, we had a nice run of wright guesses on Friday. The finish order for the runner-ups was Cat, Emily, Amy, and then George. Nice job all of you guys! I feel bad because both Haley and B got some guesses in this week that were good ones even though not correct. My sense is that this is just too old a movie to be on their radar screen. Sorry for that young'uns. Love you guys playing, though, and I hope you'll find a chance to see this flick!

5 comments:

Dan W said...

I just updated the standings. Take it away, Sue! Looking forward to playing so I can win and then feature another Teri Garr movie next week!

Amy said...

Yes, Dan, you are correct. I think a lot of us are pretty big John Denver fans. I know I am and I remember a memorable 4th of July in Mapleton cranking John Denver up and preparing a nice holiday meal to his music. I love him. Good job, Sue. I don't think I've seen this movie since it was playing in theaters. I remember liking it, though. It was pretty popular. George Burns is cute.

Pops said...

Yea, John Denver.. I used to play a cassett of his greatest hits all the time in my car. Good stuff in the day. We ought to make a list of the best singers, songwriters, etc to have died in a plane accident. Denver, Buddy Holly etc. Maybe thats the list. Hahaha. Patsy Cline? Payne Stewart?? (no he was a golfer) Thurman Munson? (he was Munsoned) I'm getting bored up here at the airport and getting silly.

Emily said...

Otis Redding

Dan W said...

Ronnie Van Zant and some of the other Lynyrd Skyyrd band dudes...

Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper in same crash as Holly.