Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - 4 Stars


I finally did it! I finally started reading Harry Potter after many proddings for many years I finally broke down and did it. I don't know what my hang-ups were. I guess, since I had seen the movies, I figured that I had seen it all and therefore, didn't need to read the books. I will admit, that I was wrong. There was a lot of stuff in the book that I loved that wasn't in the movie. I really thoroughly enjoyed the book and thought it was charming, witty, and fun. I guess one of my biggest reasons for not reading them also was that I was afraid that I wouldn't "care" much or have sympathy for Harry himself. Like it wasn't enough for me to keep reading and reading. I like to really care for the characters in a book and so I worried about that. I realize now that I do. I really like Harry and I actually feel really bad for him. I think he is a cute little kid and I think it is so sad that he lost his parents so young and had to live with those awful Durselys! Anyway, I thought the book was great and I am planning to start the Chamber of Secrets later on today!
I gave it four stars because I loved it but don't quite think it is a "Wright Classic."

3 comments:

Emily said...

I just have to say, you haven't even began to care about Harry yet. I mean you have, but only to the extent the first book will allow you to go. I didn't know that was a big hang up of yours, or I would have set you straight. So have you seen all 5 movies? The first two I found VERY similar to the books, the others were just too long to make into movies with everything in them, so they vary quite a lot. I didn't like what they did to the 3rd, but the others I approved of. I am glad you're hooked! Get ready to be up reading all night around book 4, and you can feel bad for B and I that we had to wait years in between books.

Haley said...

Yeah, that would stink. I'm glad I didn't have to do that with twilight either or I would have gone mad! It was bad enough waiting for Breaking Dawn. Anyway, yes I have seen all the movies and I think they are cool. I am excited to keep reading!

Emily said...

I hope you don't mind Haley, I added labels to your blog.
No one better mind, cause I'll be doing it, I am the Labels Nazi.
I won't however be changing anyone's posts while I do that, I am not into censorship.
I'm a bad Nazi.