Monday, September 29, 2008

Moral Disorder

3 stars

This was actually a book I didn't read, but rather listened to it on my ipod while doing housework. Kind of the same thing, as I heard the book, but didn't actually "read" it. I find that listening to books while hanging up clothes, doing dishes, etc. breaks up the monotony of housework and sometimes, if the book is really good, I make up stuff to do so I may continue "reading". So anyway, just wanted to clear that up.
First I am going to talk a little about Margaret Atwood, she is a fairly well acclaimed author, the only books I am at all familiar with are: The Handmaid's Tale, Cat's Eye and I believe Amy and Mom read "The Tent" in book club a while back? This is my first book of hers I have actually read (but didn't: see above). Anyway, all I have to say is that it was interesting stories to do housework to. I didn't find in particularly enlightening, nor did I get a big "wow" at the end. In fact, more then anything it got a big HUH?
It is cited as being a collection of stories which is true, as they all stand on their own, but it is stories of the same lady as a young girl, a teenager, a college age girl and an adult, then a (fairly) old lady.

Here is what the back had to say:

Margaret Atwood’s latest brilliant collection of short stories follows the life of a single character, seen as a girl growing up the 1930s, a young woman in the 50s and 60s, and, in the present day, half of a couple, no longer young, reflecting on the new state of the world. Each story focuses on the ways relationships transform a character’s life: a woman’s complex love for a married man, the grief upon the death of parents and the joy with the birth of children, the realization of what growing old with someone you love really means. By turns funny, lyrical, incisive, earthy, shocking, and deeply personal, Moral Disorder displays Atwood’s celebrated storytelling gifts and unmistakable style to their best advantage.

I've got to say, it was well written, she does seem to have a knack for storytelling, I suppose you could call it "earthy" but I gotta say, I certainly was never "shocked". To sum up: I liked it ok, I wouldn't call it a waste of time (how could you when you were able to put away 6 loads of laundry, clean 3 bathrooms including floors and tubs and showers, do countless amounts of dishes all while reading?) Although it certainly wasn't what I would describe as "memorable", but well written. Read this book if you are looking for something easy, relaxing, and good old fashioned storytelling, but don't expect to be totally wowed (or shocked).

4 comments:

Matt Wright said...

Didn't Steven King have a book called Cat's Eye as well? I remember just seeing the movie a lot at the (this spelling might be kinda funny) Cartasano's house. Something about a little troll thing that comes in a family's house and kills their cat maybe? I don't know, but I remember even thinking it was low budget when I was like 7 or 8, so it must not be too good.
ANY-WHO....
Yeah, so the next time I'm thinking about reading something easy, relaxing, and good old fashioned storytelling, I just might pick this one up. On the other hand I might have more fun having a 2x4 shoved down my throat.

Pops said...

Good one, Matt! Love the 2X4 bit. If I am looking for something easy, relaxing, and good old fashioned storytelling I will go back to "Crime & Punishment" or shove a rough sawed 2X2 down my throat.

Sue said...

You guys crack me up? Yeah, Crime and Punishment is real easy relaxing reading.

Yes Matt there was a Stephen King movie called Cat's Eye. It was I think 3 different stories, all involving the same cat. I think James Woods was in one of the stories. Anyway, the troll one is the only one I remember. Drew Barrymore was in it and she was like 6. There was a troll living in her room that would suck the breath out of her while she slept. Remember that? It think that is where your low production value comes to memory. Because the troll sucking out her breath is really poorly done. The cat sleeps on her bed and protects her from the troll. Hee hee.

Em, the only Margaret Atwood I've read is The Handmaid's Tale. I really liked it. I'm not always looking for a wow factor when I read, sometimes I just like a decent book to read, so I might try this one out!

Emily said...

Man, these guys are brutal. I didn't expect you two to have any interest by jingo (Tom Sawyer).

Sue, I like storytelling and I like to hear stories. Sometimes just the fact that I know I am going to hear a story makes me relax, I must have liked bedtime stories as a kid. I think you will like this book. All books I read aren't memorable, but entertain me while I read and sometimes that's all you need.

Cat's Eye was on TV a lot for a few years, and that Drew Barrymore story is the only one I remember too. I am sure you and David Cartesano watched it solely for the troll.

Was it just a screenplay written by Stephen King or a book of short stories adapted for the screen?
Off I go to Wikipedia.