Friday, March 6, 2009

RIP, old man



Kurt Vonnegut Thulin
May 3, 1998 - March 6, 2009




I had Travis make a vet appointment for Kurt today. I was certain that he wouldn't come home. He got really sick, really fast. Two weeks ago, he just stopped being Kurt. No life except laying on the floor. He didn't even greet us when we came home. He didn't eat for several days and couldn't even hold down water. Travis just called and said that his X-rays showed a tumor on his spleen that was as big as his head. We are going to have to put him to sleep. We've been ready for this for quite some time. We had to. He's almost 11 and the last few days have been really hard to even look at him anymore. He's just a bag of bones and in so much pain and very, very sick. We were very lucky to have in our family for almost exactly 10 years to this day. We got him at 10 months old on our wedding anniversary (March 8th). Remember, Sue? A lot of you were in Scotland at the time. He was a wonderful friend and listener, and an awesome dancer and singer as well. Kurt was proceeded in death by his Aunt, Liz Wright; and his little sister, Gracie Thulin. He is survived by his parents, Catherine & Travis Thulin; his brother, Booker Thulin; his sister, Sissy Nar Thulin; and his boyfriend Matt Wright. We will miss him very much. Love you. Kisses.


I took these pictures last night...

15 comments:

Sue said...

Cat! I'm so sorry! How are all you doing? I totally remember the day you got Kurt, he was so cute! I was happy to get him away from that fat couple who couldn't take care of him.

Call me when you're up to talking.

Haley said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. That is such a hard thing to do. That was a very nice tribute to him. He was such a cute dog. I hope you are all doing ok.

Emily said...

Oh Cat I'm so sorry. Poor Kurbus, I'm sorry to hear how sick he was. Hope you are doing alright.

Nice nod to Matt and the weird Kurt love.

Emily said...

How's Booker doing?

Sue said...

I've been wondering about Booker too. Is he doing okay?

I remember I helped name him too. Remember we got him home to your house and hated the name they gave him? It was Tyson? We were looking at the books in your bookcase and I saw Kurt Vonnegut books and said Kurt and your face lit up!

Matt Wright said...

How sad. I loved Kurt, I don't think I loved him in the same way he loved me, but I will miss him very much. Boxers are the best. And I always thought Kurt was exceptionally good looking. (ok...not like that... like worthy of being a show dog or something.) I didn't know he sang and danced either.
My hart goes out to you guys in your loss.

Not that Kurt could ever be replaced, but--PUPPY??

Matt Wright said...

The "Love you. Kisses." without exclamation marks is about the saddest thing ever.

Cat said...

We're actually doing really well. We've been mourning him for quite a while now, because Kurt was just gone even before today. I feel better than I thought I would about it. It hurt worse watching him these last two or three days especially. Travis is on his way to pick up Booker from a friend's. We told him this afternoon that we were taking Kurt to the vet and that he might not come home. He cried a bit. But we've been preparing him for this inevitability. Thanks for all you guys and your kind words.

Amy said...

Cat, I'm so sad for you guys. Losing a beloved pet is so hard. I'm so sorry. We know the day is not too far away that our Milo will be gone and I tear up just thinking about it. He'll be 12 in June and definitely slowing down.
That was a really sweet tribute you gave him Cath. It made me cry.
Love you

Cat said...

Thanks again everybody. The vet said that the tumor he had was an exceptionally aggressive one. He probably only had it for about two weeks and at that rate of growth and the size, it would have ruptured his spleen in a matter of days and that would have been a really horrible and agonizing death for him. So as sad as it is to see him go, I know we did the right thing. He didn't want to go, Travis could see it in his expression. That's the worst part of it. With Liz it was like, thank you, I'm ready, bring on the juice. But Kurt said, wait...I have to leave you now?

Cat said...

Oh, and yes, we paid the extra money to have him kremated separately. His ashes will join Liz on our mantel.

Amy said...

That had to be so hard. At least he didn't have to suffer long. You can feel good about all you did. Still so sad. :(

Pops said...

I have been putting off writing something for the Thulin family regarding 'ol Kurt. Mostly I didn't want to cry and get mushy, because it reminds me of all the dogs I have lost and because Duncan is going to be 11 next Sept. and he is getting quite gray in the face and is over weight because of his steroid pills and he has small lumps of fatty tissue under his armpits and belly. He is so sweet and loving and funny I don't know what I'll do when he goes. I spent some time this weekend looking through my dog books for a poam or writing that I could quote, but most were too long or about Golden Retrievers so I gave up. I feel your pain, Cat, Booker and Travis. Kurt was a fine dog and good friend and was well loved and taken care of. You did well and he is happy.

Amy said...

You're so cute Dad!

Cat said...

Thanks, Dad. I know you've lost your share of dogs. It's always hard.