Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Nightmare Girls

So, I've been wanting to see this movie forever. Jennifer Hudson won an Oscar, and it was nominated for 46 awards and won 41 of them, according to IMDB.com. So I Netflixed it, and Matt and I finally had a free night, and sat down to watch it together. Matt hated it in the first 10 minutes, but I gave it a good 45 minutes. I cannot believe it won so many awards. I thought it would just be a fun flick with good costumes. It had good costumes, and great hair, except for Eddie Murphys. And it had an awesome cast! Dannie Glover, one of my childhood heros (I watched Lethal Weapon as much as watched Beauty and the Beast), Beyonce, Jamie Foxx, Eddie Murphy, and a lot of other black people. So why did it suck so much? BECAUSE it tried to cram every single aspect of african american/showbiz/political life in!! Seriously, at one point there's a riot outside the recording studio, and Effie (Hudsons character) walks outside, where people are shooting at everything, and buildings are on fire, and her boyfriend walks out to comfort her, and then the scene changes, and that never gets addressed. Effie also has a neverending scene where the Oscar win probably comes from (best supporting acctress), that Matt and I couldn't wait to be over. It's half really stupid musical, and the rest of it is just bad confusing storyline. Seriously, there was a jump of like 9 years in 2 seconds, and I had no idea what happened. You've got mothers on welfare, family feuds, Eddie Murphy smokes Heroin, Martin Luther King Jr's speech, one hit wonders, a Jackson 5 look-alike band, lawsuits, comebacks, affairs, temper tantrums out of nowhere, you name it. It was waaaay too confusing, and a very poor adaptation of a Broadway play, that I should have loved. It was right up my alley, but sadly, sucked.

The redeeming moments were when Beyonce realized that she was getting screwed, and needed to get out of her situation, Eddie Murphy when he wasn't on drugs, the costumes, and before the girls got too involved in stardom. So besides the costumes, it did have 20 good minutes. I was happy to get out of my homework vortex, and I'm pretty sure none of you would ever watch this on your own free will, but in case you are ever tempted, don't give in unless you're paid to.

13 comments:

B said...

Ok Em, work your magic on that photo. I made it tiny with photobucket, but apparently it hates me.

Emily said...

How's that?

Well, sounds like it's lame. I suspected as much, although it did win a lot of awards. I was planning on watching it if it ever got on TV and I was bored. I liked how Jennifer Hudson got all the attention though, and Beyonce was a b about it. When did Jamie Foxx become this big award winning star? (I know--Ray). He will always be bunz from Booty Call to me.
I take it you give this movie a "hud sauce"?

Matt Wright said...

I give it Hud Sauce Lick Bag Face

Pops said...

Mom and saw this in the theater and liked some of the music especially J. Hudson big song. First time I have ever seen Bounce and she is pretty good looking. Other than that it was all so, so....

Sue said...

Bounce!! I love it!! I'm with Em on this one. It's a movie I was just waiting to be on cable and playing on a Saturday afternoon when I'm cleaning or something. I almost rented it a couple of times, but found something else to rent instead. Good to know it's bad. I won't give it a chance. It just kind of looked like one of those movies that could be really good, or suck face hud sauce. Thank you for taking one for the team Matt and B!

Matt Wright said...

Oh man, the laugh of the day, perhaps of the week, for me has to go to Pops calling her Bounce! I can't even type right now!!
Ok, I must make this observation also- If B didn't like this, NONE of us will.

Haley said...

I watched it last year sometime with my mom and also didn't like it. I liked some of the songs but some of them were lame! I didn't dig it. It was almost as bad as Hairspray.

Pops said...

Nice review, B. Very discriptive and well written and one wouldn't know you didn't like it till the end. Hahahahaha

Emily said...

Is "bounce" referring to her largeness in the chfestle area?

Pops said...

Come on, Em! Pops is over seventy. I wouldn't look at whatever the chfestle area is. "Bounce" is just a play on words and her stage name. However, as Jeff Daniels said in Dumb and Dumber, "Nice pair of Hooters"

Matt Wright said...

Ok. Dad? Creepin' a bit.

Sue said...

HAHA! You are so funny dad! From Young Frankenstein "nice knockers"

Emily said...

OH! You were talking about Beyonce.... I thought you meant Hudson, but dad, wouldn't put that past you anyway, haha.

Beyonce is pretty.