Friday, October 3, 2008

Somewhere In Time


Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour
HUD SAUCE!!!
The premise is so ridiculous that I'll just do it really quick. Dude in college, a playwright, has old lady come up to him after a performance. She hands him a gold pocket watch and says, "Please, come back to me". Dude is confused. Finds out later that woman died that very night. Fast forward to 8 years later and he decides to go on vacation. Finds this really old hotel, check in, sees a picture of this actress that performed there in 1912. He is instantly obsessed with her, reads everything he can and learns all about her.
Goes back in time, finds her, they fall in love. In three hours...they fall desperately in love. Did you get that, all this crap because of three hours. Anyhoo, guy finds a penny in his pocket from modern day 1980 and is kertwanged back into the present. So he wakes up in the present and is so distraught he does nothing but look out the hotel window for a week. It's not entirely clear, but I guess he dies because the last milky scene is a reunion of the two.
This movie is REALLY BORING. And Christopher Reeve is just not charming at all. It's an older movie, many of you may have already seen it. But I would not recommend it. Total Hud Sauce Lick Face.

10 comments:

Emily said...

I remember watching this in Jr High and being pretty bored. I think we found something about it romantic, but we must of only liked it enough to watch once and I can't remember anything about it except that it had some sort of back in time something. I also know that Judy Bellows must have liked it an awful lot, she named her daughter McKenna and I remember Marissa telling me that is the character's name in Somewhere In Time.
I find Jane Seymour highly aggravating, by the way.

Cat said...

I remember that about Judy Bellows too. I also know that a lot of people really love this movie. Find it incredibly romantic. Not this girl. I found it incredulous.

Sue said...

This is one of the lamest movies ever made. I saw it when I was quite young, and I believe you can totally blame this movie for my dislike of pretty much all love story/romantic movies. (Like that Nights in Rodanthe looks like one of the worst movies ever! If John Lennon rose from the dead and asked me to go see that movie, I would say no.)

Cat-It's one of Gina's favorite movies of all time. She has really bad taste in movies.

And I would also like to know Cat what possessed you to watch it.

Pops said...

Yeah, lame! But the Grand Banks resorts is a famous old resort off of Lake Michigan somewhere in Michigan. The scene of C. Reeve lying on the bed crying, holding that stupid penny is one of the all time worst acting jobs ever!

Amy said...

I remember liking this movie at the time it came out (probably 9th grade or so). I watched it again a year or two ago and was embarrassed that I ever liked it. I agree with you all. Lame.

Sue said...

I'm so glad you changed your mind about this movie Amy! I remember you liked it. I was afraid you were going to defend the movie, and tell us all how great it is.

Amy said...

No way! But it is interesting that at the time it came out it was extremely popular and well-liked. Why? What was wrong with everyone? Maybe we have all come to expect much more from movies now. I actually bought it several years ago, remembering that I liked it. It was cheap! Oh well.

Matt Wright said...

HA HA HA!!! AMY BOUGHT IT!! heehee. Just kidding, I know nothing about this movie, I am just bord right now.

Sue said...

I think you're probably right about expecting more from movies now. There are a lot of people out there that this is one of their favorite movies!

I think next time we are all in WY we should watch it just so we can make fun of it. Remember how much fun we all had making fun of the Jazz Singer? And that is a movie we like! (puppies on his chest). Think of how much fun we could have making fun of a crappy movie!

Pops said...

Maybe we do expect more from movies now, but I'm not sure we do or should. Two catagories of top 5 films should be "films before digital enhantsment" and "films after special effects" Some of the "best ever" movies are over 20 years old. Think about it! It's all about storytelling and acting, is it not? Throw in photography also. That is why "Lawrence of Arabia" is in everyones top 10 alltime list, because it had all three in spades!!!