Monday, October 13, 2008

Under the Radar



I wasn't expecting to do another Under the Radar so soon, but I watched this movie yesterday and decided everyone must watch it now. This is posted mainly for you Matt, you told me once you really like documentaries. Well this is a documentary about a chorus in England. The average age of the chorus member is 80 and they sing rock songs! The Clash, Rolling Stones, Sonic Youth, Talking Heads etc.

I read a feature about them in the New Yorker probably 5 years ago. I thought it sounded interesting, but never really thought of it again. Then last year, I heard there was a documentary made about them and it was showing at Sundance. I also heard a radio interview with the chorus director and the filmmaker, and I knew I had to see it. I put it on my Netflix que and waited for it to be released on DVD. It finally was, and everyone needs to see it.

Seriously, Em, Cat bump it to the top of your que. Wyoming people, someone needs to put it at the top of their que. Or just buy it. You will love this movie. Watch it with the whole family. You will laugh out loud several times and then cry. You will fall in love with these old people. Some of them are in their 90's and they are singing Sonic Youth! And there are like 3 music videos in it with them singing. They do David Bowie's Golden Years, hilarious! But the Bee Gee's Staying Alive is the best. I'm not just recommending this movie, I'm demanding that everyone watch it.

They did a performance here in Salt Lake a few months ago, and I am kicking myself for not going.

9 comments:

Amy said...

I saw these guys on TV several months ago. They were amazing and I think I did cry! They were so cute. I definitely want to see this. I didn't know there was a doc about them. Yay!

Cat said...

I want to see this so bad! I heard them on Radio West a few weeks ago. So cute. Also, correction: the creator is English, but all the singers are from Massachusetts. Or New Hampshire...somewhere in New England.

Sue said...

I meant to say New England, not just England. You'll love it you guys! I promise! It is a movie the whole family will enjoy, even the kids! I'm probably going to watch it another 3 times before I send it back, then I'll probably just go buy it. Kind of like what I did with Zoolander.

I heard them on Radio West too. When they were in Salt Lake a few months ago, X96 had them in their studio too. They had the director and a couple of the chorus members.

Emily said...

Wow, I'm being demanded. Well, I guess I better go to Netflix.

Matt Wright said...

Can't wait to see it. Yes, I collect Documentaries, I can't seem to ever get enough of them.

Cat said...

Matt, have you seen Buena Vista Social Club? It's one of the best docs I've seen.

Sue said...

Buena Vista Social Club is really good Matt if you haven't seen it yet. Another favorite of mine is Spellbound. It follows like 8 kids to the National Spelling Bee. This one kid, Harry, is the best. I love documentaries!

Sue said...

And yes Em. You are being demanded. I promise you will thank me.

Matt Wright said...

No Cath, haven't seen it, but it is also on our Netflix Que. Spellbound also. I will keep you posted.